Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Clinging for my Floor Lamp

Dictionary.com defines Titanic as: Of enormous scope, power, or influence, and James Cameron's film, Titanic, falls nothing short of that.

It's refreshing to come across a review that neither bashes the plot, nor the special effects, but instead commends them. Searching for a review I came across James Berardinelli's review, who claimed that Titanic was not only magnificent, but a rarity. James writes: You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it -- from the launch to the sinking, then on a journey two and one-half miles below the surface, into the cold, watery grave. I whole heartedly agree. When watching the movie, I often find myself clinging to the floor lamp in a desperate attempt to stay afloat, holding my breath as I hit the water, or the worst spreading my arm as if to fly. Point being...Titanic is a film that engages the audience, and a film where the stories, characters, and setting are so real that you can get lost in them. I think this plays a big role in why so many people don't enjoy the film, they're to afraid to throw themselves in it, they sit there and maybe watch, but they don't travel with it.

James Berardinelli also talks about James Cameron use of special effects. While I can (but struggle) to admit there are times when you can pick out the use of a green screen, you can not deny that James Cameron was committed to making an accurately detailed motion picture. James Cameron proved his dedication from the get go, when he announced that to get the shots he wanted, he was quite literally, going to recreate the Titanic, set it to sail, and watch it sink. A director with that kind ambition, should unquestionably be applauded, and I am saddened when he is not. Cameron knew to create the most realistic sinking, he had no way around it, he would have to actually sink a ship. Beradinelli writes: Cameron's flawless re-creation of the legendary ship has blurred the line between reality and illusion to such a degree that we can't be sure what's real and what isn't. I think this is why I find it so easy to get so involved in the movie, while it doesn't read as a documentary, it seems so real.

Titanic is an experience that no question, influences everyone it involves.

and the classical version of: my heart will go on just came on the stereo, and I didn't even plan that, I think its a sign :)

No comments: